How can I change my personal details?

Personal details on your account can be amended by:

  • editing your profile
  • sending a secure message
  • completing a 'Change of Personal Details' form
  • written instruction

Please send to:

PO Box 4923,
BN99 6SF

Some changes can also be made by contacting us at our Customer Experience Centre on 0345 0700 720.

Please Note: Name change requests will require documentation to be sent in ie: Marriage certificate/deed poll document. We require you to send the original document which will be returned to your registered address and the request actioned within approximately 5 working days. Alternatively, you can send certified copies of the documents, but please note this could slow down the process as additional checks will need to be made.

- Submitted on 29th Feb 2020

Did this answer your question?