Can I trade in International Investments?

We can trade in international investments as long as they settle through CREST.

Spanish stocks

If you choose to purchase shares in a Spanish company with a capitalisation over €1bn a Financial Transaction Tax (FTT) will apply. This is charged at a rate of 0.2% of the trade value and included in the quote prior to trade.

If you buy and sell Spanish securities in the same day the FTT will be netted and refunded to you.

French & Italian stocks

There are some Italian and French investments which we cannot currently trade but plan to offer this capability later in the year. This applies more specifically to French companies that have a capitalisation over €1bn and Italian companies with a capitalisation over €500m.  For the most up to date information, please contact the Customer Experience Centre.


US Securities                                                                                                                               

In order to trade US investments the completion of a W-8BEN form is compulsory: this is a form which allows investors to declare their residency and claim the benefits of the tax treaty that exists between the US and their country of residence. For UK residents, the tax treaty means that withholding tax on dividends will be applied at 15% rather than 30% if no treaty existed. The form will cover all US trades for 3 years and can be found on the ‘Forms' page of the website.                                                                                                                                                                    

Please send to:
Account Maintenance
PO Box 4923
BN99 6SF

NOTE: Once the W-8BEN form has been received, your account will be updated within approximately 3 working days.

We apply an additional charge for trading overseas securities. See our 'pricing' page for the current fees and terms.

- Submitted on 18th Jan 2021

Did this answer your question?