I am not a US person - what does FATCA mean for me?

As a non-US person you are not affected. However, in order to buy (and subsequently sell) US investments, you need to complete a Form W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding), or for companies and investment clubs, a W-8BEN form for each member/account holder, as applicable. This enables us to pay income and sale proceeds arising from these investments without deduction of US withholding tax.

The form is valid from the date it was signed until the last day of the 3rd succeeding calendar year, after which it will then need to be renewed. If we have reason to believe you may be a US person for FATCA purposes, we will ask you to confirm your status and may require documentation to confirm this.

W-8BEN guidance notes can be found on the 'Forms' page.

- Submitted on 2nd Mar 2020

Did this answer your question?